QQI Level 5 Certificate in Professional Cookery (5M2088)
About this programme
This one-year course in Professional Cookery combines practical and theoretical modules, designed to enable the learner to secure long-term employment within the catering industry or to progress to Higher Education. Students have the opportunity to gain a solid grounding in areas such as food and beverage services, food preparation and kitchen health and safety. In addition, they will experience the highly energetic and creative environments of the hospitality sector.
- Leaving certificate or its equivalent
- Students must have studied mathematics and computer skills
- Students will be interviewed to determine their eligibility
Why Study Certificate in Professional Cookery? (5M2088)
This unique programme provides the students with the key skills, knowledge and competencies required to work as chefs in a professional kitchen. Graduates from the programme are employed in a variety of establishments in the hospitality and food sector, from restaurants, to hotels and industrial catering establishments, in Ireland, Asia, Europe and worldwide.
This programme will provide the learners with both theoretical knowledge and specialised culinary skills, developed through the acquisition of creative and technical competencies, all within a realistic learning environment.
Principal Areas of Study
- Culinary Techniques (5N0630)
- Food Science and Technology (5N0730)
- International Cuisine (5N0632)
- Pastry, Baking and Desserts (5N2084)
- Meal Service (5N0635)
- Menu Planning and Applied Nutrition (5N2085)
- Word Processing (5N1358)
- Personal Effectiveness (5N1390)
- Work Practice (5N1433)
Culinary Techniques (5N0630)
- Organisation within a professional run kitchen
- Time management, work plans and teamwork
- Contemporary issues relating to food
- Food production
- National food and health and safety agencies
Food Science and Technology (5N0730)
- Scientific principles & properties of food Emerging trends in food
- Stability and nutritional content of food Food Production systems
- Principles & applications of slow cooking
International Cuisine (5N0632)
- Relationship of food to culture & history
- Preparation & techniques of World Cuisines
- Best practice in hygiene & workplace safety
- Factors determining the availability of food
Pastry, Baking and Desserts (5N2084)
- Standards and grades for baking ingredients
- Commodities used in the production of desserts
- Preparation of products using pastry
- Baked dishes and soufflés Preparation of hot and cold desserts
Meal Service (5N0635)
- Factors in creating a meal experience
- Sequence of service
- Reservation Sales Process ,Record reservations
- Quality and customer focus
- Appropriate communication skills when serving food and wine
Menu Planning and Applied Nutrition (5N2085)
- Influences of tradition, culture and trends on food choice and menu planning
- Role of menu as a marketing tool
- How menus and dishes are constructed Nutritional content of food
Word Processing (5N1358)
- Text manipulation
- Document formatting
Personal Effectiveness (5N1390)
- Objectives of working in groups
- Features of meetings
- Problem solving
- Principles of personal effectiveness
- Structure and purpose of an organization
Work Practice (5N1433)
- Distinguishing features of organizations Current issues, challenges and trends affecting the workplace
- Legislation and regulations relevant to place of work
- Internal and external policies relevant to ones role
- Minimum 2 month work practice placement
Manual handling, fire safety and first aid training with certification.
Students must fulfill 4-6 weeks work placement and it is on full- time basis in a restaurant or hotel working environment.
What are my Career Opportunities and Progression?
This course offers progression options for learners to programmes in Universities and Institutes of Technology. Third-level institutes reserve a number of places on degree courses for mature learners (over the age of 23). Learners must apply to each institute individually.
Learners who complete this major QQI award at Level 5 are eligible to apply through the CAO system for entry into participating courses in the QQI Higher Education Links Scheme (HELS). A limited number of places are available and applicants are ranked according to results achieved in their QQI major award.
Progression to further Studies:
- This course leads to a level 5 award on the National Framework of Qualifications.
- Students who successfully complete this programme may use their credits towards completing a higher level of study in the area of Professional Cookery/ Culinary Arts.
- Students who successfully complete this Major Award can use the Certificate as the basis for entry into selected courses in Third Level Colleges and Universities.
Modules are subject to change as determined by the IIHCS. All modules are QQI validated. This course is completed over one year and is subject to external evaluation by QQI and the Department of Education
More information about this course:
- Students are required to complete assignments (both individual and group projects) and complete end of year exams
- English language classes will be provided for students whose first language is not English
- Students are required to satisfy the requirements as set out by QQI & IIHCS
Course fee: €2500
Includes registration fee, knives, uniforms, books, certification and tutor fees
Payment plan: €500 non-refundable deposit to secure your place, €1000 in the first week of the course and remaining balance by Christmas.
For Further Details Please Contact:
091 – 895674
About the course
Named Award: National Certificate in Professional Cookery
Duration: 1 year
Programme Code: 5M2088
Food Science and Technology
Pastry, Baking and Desserts
Menu Planning and Applied Nutrition
Modules are subject to change as determined by the IIHCS
All modules are QQI validated
This course is completed over one year and is subject to external evaluation by QQI